Protect Yourself from COVID-19
A coronavirus is a type of common virus that infects humans, typically leading to an upper respiratory infection. COVID-19 is a “novel” coronavirus, simply meaning that it is “new.” Seven other types of human coronavirus have been previously identified.
The viruses are spread through the air by coughing and sneezing, close personal contact and / or touching an object or surface contaminated with the virus.
Symptoms, including fever, cough and shortness of breath, may appear 2-14 days after exposure.
Steps to protect yourself include:3
- Clean your hands often
- Avoid close contact with others, called social distancing
- Keep at least 6 feet from others
- Stay home if you’re sick
- Cover your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze
- Clean your hands immediately after
- Use hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol
- Wear a face mask if you’re sick
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces daily