FIRE TEAM NFSA COMES TO MINNESOTA
NFSA’s Minnesota Chapter hosted a Fire Team NFSA seminar in Minneapolis on June 27th. 25 participants from the Minnesota and Iowa fire services and NFSA member companies attended. A team of national presenters included: NFSA President, Shane Ray; Vickie Pritchett, Director of Outreach and Government Relations; Gary West, Director of Field Operations; Jeff Hugo, Director of Code and Public Fire Protection; and Terin Hopkins, Field Services Coordinator for the Mid-Atlantic Region.
The seminar featured presentations on:
- Updated research results on fire propagation and fire safety from NFSA, NFPA, and UL
- Embracing a new perspective on fire life safety
- 2018 Code updates
- Mobilizing advocates at the local level for initiatives that save lives and property
- The rollout of the 2019 (3rd Edition) of the Fire Sprinkler Retrofit Guide (Automatic Sprinklers in Existing Buildings: What you need to know.)
- Understanding fire department operations in sprinkler protected properties
- The local NFSA team and the resources available to local AHJs from the NFSA
The seminar was topped off with a side-by-side, live-burn demonstration narrated by NFSA President Shane Ray. Assisted by Engine 2’s crew from the Minneapolis Fire Department, the seminar attendees and representatives from the local media witnessed first-hand the rapid and destructive power of fire and the effectiveness and life-saving operation of the “fastest water” available from the activation of a single fire sprinkler.
Video of a sprinkler-protected living room in the side-by-side demonstration
Video of an uncontrolled living room fire in the side-by-side demonstration