Sprinkler Save at Highland Park High School in Illinois

Thanks go to Highland Park, Illinois Fire Chief Larry Amidei for sending us this sprinkler save!

From Chief Amidei:
We were dispatched to the high school for an activated alarm. Upon arrival, smoke was discovered in a hallway and a fire was discovered in a closet in the theater area. Firefighters discovered that a single sprinkler had activated and kept the fire from spreading from the large closet area.

Firefighters completed the extinguishment with a dry chemical unit. The firefighters remained on the scene to help school personnel clean up the water on the floor, and ventilate the smoke so school could start on time. Time of the call was 6:33 a.m. The cause of the fire was oily rags bunched up on a shelf that spontaneously combusted after being used for painting the night before.