Sprinkler Save at Conroe, Texas Apartment Complex

Thank you to the Conroe, Texas Fire Department for issuing a press release detailing a recent sprinkler save at a local apartment complex.

Conroe, TX: The City of Conroe Fire Department was notified of an apartment fire at 2951 N Loop
336 W (The Retreat Apartments) at approximately 4:09 p.m. on October 23, 2018.
Conroe Firefighers arrived at approximately 4:16 p.m. and discovered that there had been a cooking
fire in the kitchen of one of the apartment units which activated a single fire sprinkler head and
extinguished the fire.

There were no reported injuries to occupants or firefighters. Fire damage was confined to the stove top
cooking surface. Water damage was confined to the apartment of origin. The cause of the fire was
unattended cooking and was determined to be unintentional.

This incident demonstrates the importance of a properly installed and maintained fire sprinkler system
in residential occupancies. It is likely that the automatic fire sprinkler system saved hundreds of
thousands of dollars in damage and property loss to the building’s owners and occupants. Further, no
occupants were displaced and possible injuries and deaths to citizens and firefighters were prevented.
Over 3,000 people die in non-sprinklered residential fires each year in the United States. Automatic fire
sprinkler systems have over 100 years of proven performance protecting life and property.

The Conroe Fire Department would like to remind the public that unattended cooking is the leading
cause of residential fires in Conroe, and throughout the United States, each year. Being mindful while
you cook, however, can go a long way toward helping to prevent these fires:
**Keep an eye on what you fry;
**Be alert when cooking; and
**Keep things that can catch fire away from the cooking area.

To view the press release, click here. To learn more about the NFSA’s efforts in Texas, visit our Texas Chapter page.